Sections are used to group related fields together and keep your form organised. Having fields arranged in sections also allows you to apply certain actions to all the fields at once (e.g. skip all the fields in a section or repeat the fields in a section based on a previously captured value).
You can choose to add a new section and add fields to it from scratch, or you can choose to add a section that already exists in the form you are working on, or from another form you have access to. Adding an existing section can save you time if you want to copy several fields from one form into another.
At any stage, you can rename, delete and reorder the sections in your form.
Add a new section
To add a new section to your form:
- If you have not already, click on the Design tab for the form you wish to edit.
- Scroll to the bottom of the form and click 'Add Section'. Alternatively, you can select 'Create New Section' in the panel on the right. New sections are always added to the bottom (end) of the form. Once added, you can reorder the section later.
- Give the section a name. This name will not be displayed to the fieldworker when completing the form, but is used in the Design and the Analyse tabs.
- Click 'Create Section'. The new section will always appear at the bottom of your form. However, you can change the order of the sections (outlined below).
Rename a section
You can change the name of a section in your form as follows:
- Click on the heading of the section that you want to rename to open a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select 'Rename'.
- Type in the section's new name and click 'Update'
Delete a section
Deleting a section will remove all fields contained in the section.
Note: if responses have been received for any of the fields in the section, these will also be permanently lost when deleting the section.
To delete a section from your form:
- While in the Design tab, click on the heading of the section that you want to delete to open a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select 'Delete'.
- Confirm that you want to delete the section and all its fields and responses by clicking 'OK'.
You can change the order in which the sections appear in your form:
- Select the form from the quick-switch panel and go to the Design tab.
- Select 'Order Sections' in the panel on the right. All the sections will collapse and an arrow icon will appear next to each section indicating that it can be reordered.
- Drag each section to where you want it to appear using the arrows on the left of each section name. This will change the order in which the fields in the form are shown.
- Select 'Save Section Order'.
Adding existing sections to your form
Adding an existing section can save you a lot of time if you want to copy several fields from one form into another.